Join My Best Buy
Best Buy recently revamped its rewards program to attract more customers. The resulting program is definitely worth your time, especially since it is free to join. Creating a My Best Buy account is simple—you can either sign up in store or online at BestBuy.com by entering your name, email address, and phone number. If you join in store, you’ll still have to go online to finalize your account and get a member ID.
Members get immediate access to perks after joining, including three of our favorite benefits:
- Rewards Certificates. Every purchase you make at Best Buy or BestBuy.com earns you points towards rewards at one point per every dollar spent. Once you hit 250 points, you can get a $5 rewards certificate. Another option is to hold your points until you hit 1,000 points and cash in for a $20 rewards certificate, but that is the maximum amount of points you can acquire until they reset. It takes 15 days after making a purchase for the points to appear in your account, but you have one year to use the points before they expire. Rewards certificates essentially work like coupons—you must redeem it for a purchase that is the same amount or more than the rewards certificate amount or you lose the extra value.
- Member-Only Exclusives. My Best Buy members get access to exclusive offers that can be anything from a coupon for 15% off a particular product to bonus points when you purchase items from certain brands. Members also are the first to know about many sales and promotions.
- Free Shipping on $35+ Orders. Members easily get free standard shipping on all orders of $35 or more, which can quickly add up for hefty savings, especially if you make multiple large purchases. Large items for scheduled delivery, like refrigerators, are excluded.
|Machine with a Screen|
Elite and Elite Plus members get additional perks, including:
- Extended Returns & Exchanges. Instead of the typical 15 days to return things, Elite members have 30 days to return or exchange an item and Elite Plus members have 45 days.
- Point Banking Option: Basic members max out once they hit 1,000 points or a $20 reward, but Elite and Elite Plus members can bank their points to save for even bigger rewards certificates. Basic membership points expire after a year, but Elite banked points never expire. However, if you fail to meet the Elite or Elite Plus spending requirements for the year, you’ll lose your status and have to cash out all of your banked points.
- Point Bonuses: The points will rack up faster as you increase your membership status. Elite members get 1.1 points for every dollar spent, and Elite Plus members get 1.25 points for every dollar spent. That means it takes $250 in purchases for basic members to get $5 back, but only $227.27 for Elite members and $200 for Elite Plus members.
Regular Best Buy shoppers may want to consider getting a My Best Buy credit card to rack up even more savings. Instead of the 2% back in points that basic members get, My Best Buy credit cardholders get back 5% in points or interest-free 12 month financing on store purchases of at least $399. When you have the credit card, it is much easier to earn Elite or Elite Plus status because the $1,500 or $3,500 spending requirements can be met with all purchases made on the card, not just those at Best Buy.
Shop Deal of the Day Sales
Similar to Amazon’s Lightning Deals, Best Buy has a dedicated Deal of the Day section on its website. The concept is straightforward: every day, Best Buy reveals one product that has a huge discount. The catch is that the deal only lasts one day before a new product is announced. Discounts are almost always at least 25% off retail prices, but they rarely go over 50% off. On occasion, there will be Bonus Deals of the Day where another discounted product is added, but this is rather rare.
Deals of the Day come with limited quantities and often sell out quickly. The best way to find out about new Deals of the Day is to sign up for the special daily deal email newsletter.
Shop the Best Buy Outlet
The Best Buy Outlet is unlike anything else in terms of outlet shopping online. There are a lot of outlet products to sort through, but it is also a great way to find discount products. The Best Buy Outlet has a huge selection of clearance, open-box, refurbished, and pre-owned items that you can search through by category, brand, or savings level. Even better, you can get free in-store pickup on most outlet orders and even return or exchange the items if needed.
Outlet products typically fall into one of the following categories:
- Clearance: Items that have been discounted by the manufacturer or are no longer in stock. These products typically have a small quantity that Best Buy wants to move quickly.
- Open box: Returned items that are practically new
- Refurbished: Items that have been repaired to be almost as good as new
- Pre-owned: Used items that have been restored and tested to make sure their quality is as good as new.
Even clearance and open-box items from the Best Buy Outlet qualify for manufacturer warranties, but pre-owned and refurbished items typically don’t come with warranties. If you have questions about outlet warranties on used items, contact customer service.
Use the Best Buy Price Match Guarantee
The powerful Best Buy price match guarantee means that shoppers can still get everything they need at Best Buy without wondering if there was a better deal somewhere else. It’s an easy and convenient way to get one-stop shopping and great deals.
To use the price match guarantee, simply bring in proof of the exact same item for a lower price somewhere else. Best Buy will match any local competitor’s online or in-store price, plus deals from websites like Amazon.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com, NewEgg.com, and TigerDirect.com and BestBuy.com.
Note that not every item in the store qualifies for the price match guarantee, including products sold on the marketplace by third-party sellers. Prices that are low because of mail-in rebates, clearance prices, and flash sales, as well as pre-owned, open-box, and refurbished items are all ineligible. The price match guarantee isn’t valid on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, even if the price comes from another Best Buy. Check a full list online or in store before trying to price match.
Buy Discounted Gift Cards at Cardpool.com
If you’re looking for even more ways to save, check out Cardpool.com. The site sells discounted gift cards to hundreds of stores, including Best Buy. Currently, Best Buy gift cards are available at a 5.5% discount, which means you can use them to essentially get an extra 5.5% discount on everything in the store. You can use up to 10 gift cards in a single Best Buy purchase, which makes it easy to stack up savings with gift cards. Here’s one way to use the savings: You could buy eight $25 Best Buy gift cards from Cardpool.com and only pay $188.96, which already saves you $11.04. You can then use those gift cards to purchase sale items and watch the savings grow even more.
Cardpool.com sells electronic Best Buy gift cards worth as little as $20, but physical gift cards that come through the mail with free shipping can be purchased for as little as $10.
*Read my Disclosure